Monday, February 22, 2016

17 weeks

Last Friday I had an appointment with my Perinatologist for an ultrasound to monitor fluids of the babies since they had shown to be lower for Baby B at last visit. I wasn't really nervous because my ultrasound that I had Monday earlier that week with my OB showed that the fluids weren't that bad. Unfortunately, the news wasn't as positive as it was on Monday. Following my ultrasound the technician informed me that she needed to show the doctor the scans because it appeared fluids were not what they would like to see. I knew from the minute they transferred me into the consultation room to talk with the doctor that the news wouldn't be good. Dr. Cook sat down to tell us we were borderline twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS). Stage I TTTS is characterized by one twin with fluids measurement of above 8 with the other twin below 2. Our Baby A was 7.5 and Baby B was 1.7. He wanted me to come the following Tuesday for an ultrasound, and if things progressed he would recommend me having consultation with a doctor that performs laser surgery for TTTS. There are a limited amount of doctors in the country that perform this surgery (none of which are in Arizona) and after I researched I decided I would like to see Dr. Chmait in Los Angeles if I did end up needing to have surgery. Doug and I and family sent up a lot of prayers that things would improve. We were told that sometimes the condition can reverse itself if it doesn't reach stage 2, and we were hoping that would be the case.

Then Sunday I felt a lot of pressure on my cervix and we decided I needed to go into the hospital. After I had an ultrasound, Dr. Cook called me and told me I had progressed to Stage II TTTS and Baby B hardly had any fluid and they could no longer see his bladder as he is essentially being dehydrated. Baby A had a lot of fluid and the extra fluid was what was causing me to have so much pressure. I was devastated and heart broken. My doctor wanted me to come in first thing the next morning (today) before the office opened so he could just double check that I was in fact Stage II. Once in stage II, surgery is pretty much the only option to save the babies.

My ultrasound this morning still showed Stage II TTTS and we called LA and now I have an appointment for consultation with Dr. Chmait on Wednesday and then will have surgery on Thursday at 18 weeks. We have to move quick since TTTS can progress at crazy speed. We will fly to LA tomorrow night and will most likely be there until Saturday. I'm so grateful that Doug and my parents will be coming with me as this is the scariest thing I have ever had to do! I'm also so grateful that my mother-in-law Cheryl was so quick to offer to watch Hunter and Landon while we are gone.

We are so blessed to have many loved ones who have fasted and prayed on our behalf, and even offered to help in anyway they can. Even though we are so scared to have this risky surgery done, we have faith that things will work out. It's funny, on Sunday I taught my primary class on how Heavenly Father watches over us.. Boy did I need that lesson as much if not more than them. As I have prayed I have felt more at peace and I know no matter what happens, he will be there to give me strength to get through this.

I will update more throughout the week, but here is a little video that shows what TTTS surgery entails. I'm in awe at this miraculous procedure and so grateful that I live in a time where such medical advancement can save my babies!!

https://vimeo.com/18407087


No comments:

Post a Comment