Saturday, March 19, 2016

Fearful First Night

The first night in the hospital after baby a's water broke was very scary. That day I had no major contractions and only "irritability" that showed up on the contraction monitor, which wasn't a surprise. It seemed like we were in the clear and that we were going to be able to avoid going into preterm labor, so I told Doug it was ok for him to go home with the boys that night. 

Around 2am my nurse came in to take my vitals and I mentioned that I was feeling cramping. She put me on the contraction monitor and within 10 minutes I was having consistent strong contractions every 5 minutes. I could tell by the look on her face it wasn't good. I started to feel panicky which made the contractions worse. I was glad they weren't painful yet, but they kept coming and we're getting stronger. She gave me a medication in my IV to stop contractions and I asked her what they would give if that didn't work. She told me they wouldn't give me anything else and that she had to "fight to let them give {me} this medication". I was shocked and hurt and confused... I had come all this way to be told they wouldn't help keep the babies from coming too early? She explained to me that they don't like to stop labor in patients who have broken their water as labor could be a sign of infection. She also said since I'm so far away from viability they don't want to keep giving labor-stopping meds because they are hard on me and the babies. I just cried... I knew why they couldn't stop labor, but my heart was breaking. This could be the night I would meet and have to say goodbye to my babies. 

My nurse told me it would be a good idea to call my support person to come just in case things progressed. I called Doug to come down and his mom came to our house to stay with the boys. I was relieved when he got to my room. I had him climb into the tiny hospital bed with me and hold me as we cried and talked about heavenly father's plan for us. I asked him to give me a priesthood blessing and I felt comfort after that. I finally dozed to sleep in his arms, and the contractions slowly tapered off...

Friday morning I was still on edge emotion-wise, and I was tired from not getting much sleep, but the leaking/bleeding seemed to be letting up and there was no sign of infection or contractions. The amazing Dr. Cook came in to check on me and chat with us.. He clarified all the misunderstandings I had about the protocol of labor if it happened. He is so knowledgable and caring, I'm lucky to have him as my doctor. We love him so much we gave him some sour patch kid candies ;)

Last night was a world of a difference. Doug didn't stay but knew to have his cell right by him, and I got such good sleep. I slept from 10 that night to 9 in the morning with minimal interruptions from my nurse. Today I just have felt so much more positive and I was so happy to come home and gets hugs and kisses from my boys. I'll have to soak up this time with them as I go back in less than 2 weeks to stay until the twins come. They don't quite understand it but they are so loved by those who watch them that they do well when I'm gone. 

Two days past pPROM and counting... Hopefully many more to come! 

Me in all my hospital glory.
The bow goes well with my fabulous hospital gown, doesn't it?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my sweet friend, I wish I could sit next to you and talk to you, or just let you cry. I know sometimes God's plan for us seems strange or painful or too hard to bare. It always hurts most when it comes to your little ones. Just know you and Doug and the boys are absolutely loved and prayed over. I feel strongly that you are a special spirit to our Heavenly Father, and He knows exactly what He has planned for your family. Hugs and I Love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Battle is Joined. It will test everyone involved. It will demand both our Worldly & Spiritual Best. Your Gestational Support Team is in your corner & we are Armed with information that can make the difference in this Extreme Risk pregnancy. One baby's Shield is Down. Waiting for infection to set in is frankly Nonsense mom. Engaging a prophylactic dosage of broad spectrum antibiotics in combination with daily sono, and engaging a high dose Cascade of antibacterials at the Very First Sign of Funisitis, Choramniitis, or any variant of these IU infections is an approach that has had success in past cases in MoDi Twins Pregnancy. I will be the first one to tell you that the Risk is great. Vigilance must be so as well, with as much Proactivity as is Humanly possible. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete