Thursday, March 17, 2016

Things take a turn..

This morning one of my worst fears happened: my water broke. It happened as I got out of bed and I rushed to the bathroom. I was expecting to see clear fluid but I saw so much blood instead. Instant panic set in and I called Doug who had just barely left for work and told him we needed to go to the hospital. I texted my doctor and called my mom and she came to stay with our boys who were still sleeping at the time. 

I tried to hold it together but it was so scary as we drove to the hospital. I just kept praying that the babies would be ok. We got to the hospital and were checked in. They hooked me up to an IV and monitored for contractions which luckily I wasn't having much. They checked with the Doppler and found two heartbeats! I could relax a little after that. The nurse had to do a physical exam that was a bit painful but they were able to confirm baby a's water did break. We had an ultrasound and luckily both babies are doing fine and my cervix is still holding up strong. Baby A now has little fluid like Baby B had and I'm sure B is taunting A saying "See, that's how I felt!" 

Dr. Cook came in to tell us the plans. He said it is good that I'm past 20 weeks as data shows better outcomes when waters break prematurely. He said he thinks the bleeding is blood from my subchorionic hematoma that I have had since before the surgery 3 weeks  ago, and it didn't surprise him. The plan is for me to stay until Saturday for them to monitor me and the babies. I will get antibiotics as infection is a complication of preterm premature rapture of membranes (pPROM) aka sac of water breaking. Once I'm released on Saturday I'll be on stricter bedrest at home and then I will be readmitted to the hospital in two weeks from today and will stay for the remainder of the pregnancy. I will get steroid shots to help mature the babies longs and will get medication to stop labor if I start contracting. If I carry to 34 weeks (which I hope I do!) they will take the babies as it's not safe to go longer. 

It's all so overwhelming and I feel awful that Hunter and Landon won't have a mommy for a long while. But I'm grateful for modern medicine and good doctors who are doing everything in their power to keep these little ones cooking. 24 weeks is viability, meaning the time the twins have a chance to survive out of the womb. So that's the first goal, but obviously we need them to bake longer so they have fewer complications. I'm glad to be at a great hospital with a level III NICU that can handle micropremie babies if it comes to that.

Thank you for all the prayers and support for us! It's been a battle but we know that we can get through with our Heavenly Father and the Savior! 

9 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you more now than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you all and will keep up on the prayers. Xoxo I will check with your mom on how we can help ❤️ Nancy, Steve and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brianna, this seems like so much to go thru, but I know that what ever happens you will be able to handle it with the Savior's help. Mark and I will continue to pray for you guys. Is there anything I can do to help you? Please let me know. Love to all of you!
    Linda Webb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has been but I'm so grateful for the gospel and our loved ones.. Prayers right now are the best thing we can ask for. Thank you, love and miss you!

      Delete
  4. Hey sweet girl. You are one amazing woman, and I have ALWAYS seen that in you. You have a great husband and an amazing fire of a spirit. You've got this. Even when it gets as hard as you think it can get, you've still got this. The Lord has you in His big, strong hand. All is well, friend. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca I can always count on you to give encouraging words of love. Thank you for that my dear friend. I don't know how people get through the hard trials in life without the gospel and the support of loved ones. Love you!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete